Current Size: 100%
On April 25 1919, Howard University copyrighted the Alma Mater co-authored by Class of 1916 alumni Joseph Hunter Brooks and Frederick Dewitt Malone.
Lulu Vere Childers became a member of Howard University's faculty in 1905 and served as the university's Director of Music from 1905 until 1942. She founded the Conservatory of Music in 1913 and School of Music in 1918. The Division of Fine Arts is housed in Lulu Vere Childers Hall, which is dedi
The Main Building was among the first buildings constructed by the Freedmen’s Bureau for Howard University. After it was completed in 1869, it was used for the University’s administrative offices, the Freedmen’s Bureau; and the Theology Department (1871-1929).
Howard University opened a $5 million medical simulation center in January 2014. The Howard University Health Sciences Simulation Center is a 6,000 square foot, state-of -the art simulated learning environment, offering resources to advance a comprehensive healthcare education program.
James Cheek was the thirteenth president of Howard University. With a tenure of 20 years (July 1, 1969-June 30, 1989), President Cheek was the university's second-longest serving president and also its youngest elected president at age 36. During Dr.
The Ronald Walters Center for Public Policy Studies was launched in 2011. The Center was established to serve as a focal point for research, publications, service, policy discussions and leadership development activities in areas involving the engagement of African Americans in the U.S.
Wilbur Patterson Thirkield served as Howard University’s eighth president from September 1, 1906 until June 20 1912.
Dr. Elbert Cox joined the faculty of Howard University in 1929. Dr. Cox was the first African American to earn a Ph.D. (Cornell University 1925) in mathematics. He remained at Howard until his retirement in 1965 and served as chairman of the Mathematics Department from 1957-1961.
The John Burr Building for Physical Education was constructed in 1964. It was dedicated on October 25, 1974 to Professor John H. Burr, who served as professor of physical education from 1923-1958. The facility serves as the venue for Bison basketball games, volleyball matches, and swim meets.
Byron Sunderland served as Howard University’s second president from 1867-1869. The College of Medicine, the College of Pharmacy and the School of Law were established during Mr. Sunderland’s presidency.
The Peace Corps ranked Howard University first on the 2017 list of top volunteer-producing Historically Black Colleges and Universities.