Current Size: 100%
Howard University Charter
When Howard University opened its doors for classes in 1867, there were six (6) departments formally authorized by the Howard University Charter.
Howard has grown from a single-frame building in 1867 and evolved to more than 89 acres, including the six-story, 400-bed Howard University Hospital. Since 1974, it has expanded to include a 22-acre School of Law West Campus, a 22-acre School of Divinity East Campus and another three-fifths of an acre facility in northeast Washington and a 108-acre tract of land in Beltsville, Maryland.