Current Size: 100%

public://mainbldg.jpg

The Main Building (1869-1935)

Photo Credit: HU Archives

No. 95

The Main Building

The Main Building was among the first buildings constructed by the Freedmen’s Bureau for Howard University. After it was completed in 1869, it was used for the University’s administrative offices, the Freedmen’s Bureau; and the Theology Department (1871-1929). The Main Building was demolished in 1935. Founders Library was erected on its site in 1935.