Current Size: 100%
150 Facts from 150 Years
Fact of the Day
In 2012, the Howard University School of Law was ranked by the National Jurist magazine as one of the top 20 schools in the nation for producing public service graduates.
The oldest honorary scholastic society in the United States, Phi Beta Kappa, the Gamma Chapter, was installed at Howard University on April 8, 1953. Dr. Alain Locke played the major role in obtaining the Charter. Dr.
Frederick Douglass Memorial Hall was dedicated on April 30, 1935. Frederick Douglass was a black abolitionist, statesman, and member of the Howard University Board of Trustees from 1871-1895.
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity was founded on January 9, 1914 at Howard University by students A. Langston Taylor, Leonard F. Morse, and Charles I. Brown.
The Howard University School of Social Work was established as an autonomous unit in 1935. The School is currently housed in the Inabel Burns Lindsay Hall, which is named in honor of its first dean.
The Journal of Negro Education (JNE), a scholarly refereed journal, was founded by the Howard University School of Education in 1932. It is one of the oldest continuously published periodicals by and about Black people.
Alumnus Dr. Antoine Garibaldi (B.A. 1973) became the first Provost and Chief Academic Officer of Howard University in 1996. Following a recommendation by then President H. Patrick Swygert, the position of Provost was approved by the Board of Trustees on September 30, 1995. Dr.
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority was founded at Howard University on January 13, 1913.
The Howard University College of Dentistry was founded in 1881. It is the fifth oldest dental school in the United States. The College is housed in the Russell A. Dixon Building. The Dental School Bulidng is named in honor of Dr. Russell A.
The Howard University School of Law opened its doors in 1869. On April 14, 1931, the Howard University School of Law was accredited by the American Bar Association. http://law.howard.edu/
The Blackburn University Center is dedicated and the sculpture, A Bridge Across and Beyond by Richard Hunt is unveiled on April 27, 1979. The center is named in honor of Amour J. Blackburn, an alumnus (Class of 1926), who served as Dean of Students from 1949-1969.
The International Affairs Center, established in 1993, was renamed The Ralph J. Bunche International Affairs Center in 1996.
Albert Irwin Cassell designed several of the most iconic buildings on the Howard University main campus between 1920 and 1938. Mr. Cassell joined the faculty of the School of Applied Science in 1920 and was appointed University Architect in 1924.